I truly hate to cook!

I really must make a bold statement ~ If you are not a great cook, you really shouldn't marry into an Italian family. No, really! There is so much focus on food in an Italian family and (well let me just speak on behalf of my husband and his family) from my own personal experience this puts sooooo much undo pressure on the wife/mother. Especially if you grew up with a mother who didn't much care for cooking meals and we pretty much had the same (meatloaf, stew, soup, haluski, tuna noodle casserole, chili, pot roast) menu on a weekly basis. Unless, of course Sunday came and we had a bigger meal because the grandparents and great aunt/uncle were coming over. My mom was a fabulous baker of cookies, pastries, desserts - she learned this from her aunt. This skill was passed on to me - I can create a mean dessert ~ but please don't ask me to cook you dinner, you will regret it. Over the last 14 years, I have learned to loathe the words, "What's for dinner?" I wake in the morning with that knot in my stomach. When I was first married, my husband actually had me go to his aunts and have them teach me how to make wedding soup, sauce, and meatballs. I have mastered these successfully! I just recently saw on the internet a site that claims to be the iTunes for recipes. It's where you can create a personal cookbook (they'll give you $10 off to start) at TasteBook.com. Apparently, you can upload your own recipies and personal photos and choose up to 100 recipes and have them made into a hard cover book. Now, if I were a cooking person, this would seem like a great idea for a bridal shower gift or a great holiday gift for a newlywed. Take it from me it certainly would've been helpful to have my husband's family's recipies given to me in this way. I will have to research this a bit more and let you know if I actually purchase this for myself. I have been using my trusty ole Betty Crocker cookbook 'til now. I ran across another blog I really liked called cookworm.com. She has some really nice looking recipies on there - not to mention that she cracks me up with her wit. She also received a Host Award for the December DMBLGIT (aka Does My Blog Look Good In This) contest! So if you enjoy food, her site is da bomb. I think I have blog envy...her site is beautiful. Okay, enough already about food I cannot cook - let's talk about all this laundry . . . .

No comments: