Not Quite Intervention Time

My daughter's last day of school was Tuesday. Not only was this her last day of school but it was also her last day at that particular school. It is somewhat bittersweet for us. We liked that she was at a Catholic school so that she was gaining a much greater knowledge of our religion of choice (it didn't hurt that we didn't have to cart her butt to CCD classes on the weekends either) but also that she was in smaller class sizes. There were only 160 students in the entire school of K-8 grades.

Now, however, we find that the smaller class size is actually NOT the best idea we've had. If you have a daughter, you will understand this most. There are 12 children in the entire 4th grade at Diva's school. Nine of the 12 are girls. Girls are very fickle. It is not easy to have 9 girls stay friends on a day-to-day basis. There have been issues. Not so much this past year, but wow were there issues last year. So much so that the school district guidance counselor was called in to have a bi-weekly "circle-time" chat with the kids. Let's just say that was a waste and leave it at that, m'kay.

This new school year will be at public school. There will be two 5th grade homerooms. That means there will be more than 9 girls to choose from in the friend aisle. We are excited about this and so is Diva. This is the smallest of the elementary schools in the district but at least it is bigger than the old school. I think it will be a nice stepping stone for her before she hops right over to Jr. High where all the elementary schools will group up.

It is so hard to believe that my baby girl is going to 5th grade in the Fall. It is really true that time flies. You don't really understand that concept until you have children. You cannot "see" time passing you buy until you watch the changes and milestones your kids go through -- then you start to feel older yourself. I notice that I think more about making sure I have all the important paperwork done, labeled and filed where folks can find them -- if I start planning my own funeral soon, someone better initiate an intervention (or at least some margaritas)!

1 comment:

Full time mom, part-time nurse said...

I hear you sister. That is why I named my blog, Don't blink, life goes faster than you think. my son will also be in 5 th grade. I remember the day he came home from the hospital.