The Lure Of The Fire

When I was growing up, we spent a lot of time camping. My family and I have been to quite a few campgrounds in our day. Our summer vacations were not spent in hotels at the beach, no no, we would drive a motor home to the beach and stay in a campground nearby. Heck we even stayed at the Fort Wilderness camp ground at Walt Disney World for vacation one year. We learned how to do things like pack light and by that I mean we were each given a 2ft x 2ft plastic bin for most of our clothes except we were allowed one nice outfit for church, a jacket, flip flops, church shoes and tennis shoes - those items were stored in the tiny closet.

You learned a lot on those trips. Like how to bathe as discreetly as possible with flip flops on in a cement shower with no shower curtains, but many spiders, while several others sat on the bench outside the shower stall waiting their turn. You learned how to live in a 18 ft x 6 ft space with 4 other people without killing anyone. You met many many unique individuals on your travels. You read a lot of books and played a lot of card games.

But guess what, you learned how to be a family on those trips. You bonded and actually got to know one another - good or bad. You talked to each other, not at each other. You watched out for each other. Those trips are forever in my memory. I know there were times where I wished I wasn't there but then something funny would happen and then I was glad I was.

This picture of my kids sitting by a fire we had in our fire pit at home the other night brought back many of those memories of sitting by the campfire with my family. We would sit there until we were falling asleep. We roasted marshmallows, made s'mores, made mountain pies and cooked slab bacon. We played 20 questions and talked and sometimes we would just sit and stare into the fire. Then someone from a nearby campsite would yell "skunk" and that would jar us back to reality.

Wonder what Diva and Boy Child were thinking as the lure of the fire kept their attention.

Cheaper Than Therapy

3 comments:

Ladynred said...

what a lovely story about your family. Great picture of your kids.

Accidental Expert said...

I also grew up camping. Now we do it with the kids. Some of my best memories, as a kid and a parent, have been from these trips.

Visiting from MBC and now following.

Rose ~ RedNeckWitch ~ said...

Camping is so much fun, in so many ways.
We aren't able to go camping like we want to since I take care of my elderly Mother. But we live maybe 1/4 mile from the campground, and we spend a lot of time there, sometimes from breakfast time to bedtime. And get to meet so many different people. And even though we aren't camping, right now it's as close as we can get.