Abandoned and Alone No More

I'm finally alone for a few minutes - let us see just how long it may take for me to write this post. I've been non-stop since last Monday. I feel like I either need a drink, a massage, or to just run away for 24 hours - perhaps all three as long as a good friend could join me.

Between the snow issues, no school for a week (let me repeat that - NO SCHOOL FOR A WEEK), and Husband finally having his total hip replacement, I'm tired.

The kids did really well with being cooped up all week and we didn't have any fatalities or bleeding. There wasn't even as much screaming as I thought we might have. But there was an awful lot of clinging to me and noise. My nerves were very much on edge this week and for me the noise of the house was getting to me - between the TV, Wii, or chattering I longed for a bit of silence. It seems that every time I thought I'd get a minute to myself there was some urgent story Diva or Boy Child had to tell me enthusiastically, or I'd have to be referee to something or the phone would ring or Husband needed me.

I wasn't able to be at the hospital for the 3 days following my husband's surgery due to the condition of the roads and not having anyone to watch the kids due to the condition of the roads. That was probably one of the most horrific experiences of my life. To feel completely helpless and guilty and just wanting to hold his hand or stroke his head while he lay in pain and misery. To keep an eye on the the nurses. To fill his water jug or get a nurse or anything. I left him there abandoned and alone. He had many issues with the quality of care and pain management and I left him there abandoned and alone. I haven't been able to forgive myself yet for that - I may not.

He's home and safe and I can now tend to him and make sure he is okay. Diva and I carried Boy Child's bed down to the living room so Husband would be more comfortable. He had some complications with the pain meds - since he is allergic to morphine you would think that giving him a morphine derivative would be a bad thing - yep it was. We think he is finally around the corner now and mending well. I hope that I never have to have a total hip replacement - it is awful, but I'm told worth it.

(Oh, for the record - with all the interruptions it took me 2 days to write this post.)

2 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

My Aunt had to have two total knee replacements. You're right--awful, but worth it. I hope he's doing better now that he's home.

Full time mom, part-time nurse said...

My mother had her hip replaced. It took awhile to recover but no complaints of hip pain. Is he doing out patient physical therapy?