Trying to keep my babies young for as long as possible

With all the daily stuff we do as moms and getting caught up in the running around and schedules to keep, I sometimes forget that my kids are, well, kids.  I forget that my Boy Child still likes to watch Special Agent Oso and Handy Manny and my Diva likes to watch Full House and Imagination Movers.  They seem so grown up most days because of the conversations you can have with them. I forget they really are still babies. 

My Diva has a cell phone.  Yeah, I know she is 11 and she has had a cell phone for over a year now.  In fact she just received an upgrade to her cell phone.  Lately, though she has been getting these text messages from some of the girls in school - actually one girl in school - who says that she hates her and doesn't want to be her friend anymore.  This girl cannot give a reason for this hatred just that she does.  What is confusing my baby girl is that this same girl acts like there is nothing wrong when they are in class together.  They goof around and laugh and have fun.  But then when school is over the texting begins.  WTH???  I've talked to her about this and she understands that this is a form of bullying.  She says it doesn't bother her - that it is just "so-n-so" being "so-n-so".  Rest assured I will be keeping watch over this and checking emails and paying attention to her attitude. 

The kids today do not know how to communicate with each other. They prefer NOT to speak face-to-face with each other. They prefer NOT to actually speak on the phone to each other. It is all about the texting. Unfortunately though, words can be interpreted differently by another person and taken out of context. Unless you can hear the tone in the voice, it is hard to decipher if that person is joking, mad, or happy. Conversations are so short and choppy. I don't get it. We used to talk on the phone for hours with our friends.

Sometimes parents need some coaching of their own though.  Head over here to see what I mean and also help make a $0.50 donation.

No comments: